[LLVMdev] How to partition registers into different RegisterClass?

Tzu-Chien Chiu tzuchien.chiu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 02:38:37 PDT 2005

Thanks, I think it can solve my problem.

But please allow me to explain the hardware in detail. Hope there is
more elegant way to solve it.

The hardware is a "stream processor". That is, It processes samples
one by one. Each sample is associated with several 128-bit
four-element vector registers, namely:

* input registers - the attributes of the sample, the values of the
registers are different and initialized for each sample before
execution. READ-ONLY (can only be declared once by 'dcl' instruction).

* constant registers - sample-invariant. READ-ONLY (can only be
defined once by 'def' instruction). All samples shares the same set of
constant register values.

* general purpose registers - values are not initialized before the
execution and destroyed after execution. They can be read and written.

* output registers - WRITE-ONLY.

Sample program converted to pseudo-LLVM assembly (SSA):

  %Vec4 = type < 4 x float>

  // declare input registers and
  // define constant register values
  %v1 = dcl %Vec4 xyz
  %v2 = dcl %Vec4 color
  %c1 = def %Vec4 <1,2,3,4>

  // v1, v2, c1 are not allowed to be destination register
  // of any instruction hereafter.

  %r1 = add %Vec4 v1, c1
  %r2 = mul %Vec4 v1, c2
  %o1 = mul %Vec4 r2, v2     // write the output register 'o1'

I planed to partition the register into different RegisterClass:
input, output, general purpose, constant, etc.

  def GeneralPurposeRC : RegisterClass<packed, 128, [R0, R1]>;
  def InputRC : RegisterClass<packed, 128, [V0, V1]>;
  def ConstantRC : RegisterClass<packed, 128, [C0, C1]>;

 def ADDgg : BinaryInst<0x51, (
   ops GeneralPurposeRC :$dest,
   ope GeneralPurposeRC :$src), "add $dest, $src">;

 def ADDgi : BinaryInst<0x52, (
   ops GeneralPurposeRC :$dest,
   ope InputRC :$src), "add $dest, $src">;

 def ADDgc : BinaryInst<0x52, (
   ops GeneralPurposeRC :$dest,
   ope ConstantRC :$src), "add $dest, $src">;

The problem is: SDOperand alwasy return the 'type' of the value (in
this case, 'packed', the first argument of RegisterClass<>), but not
the 'RegisterClass'. With two 'packed' operands, the instruction
selector doesn't know whether a ADDgg, ADDgi, or an ADDgc should be
generated (BuildMI() function).

The same problem exists when there are two types of costant registers,
floating point and integer, and each is declared 'packed' ([4xfloat]
and [4xint]). The instruction selector doesn't know which instruction
it should produce because the newly defined MVT type 'packed' is
always used for all operands (registers), even if it's acutally a
[4xfloat] or [4xint].

--
Tzu-Chien Chiu,
3D Graphics Hardware Enginner,