[LLVMdev] making cygwin nightly builds available?

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Fri Jan 21 16:52:30 PST 2005

Marshall Spight wrote:

>>FYI, work progresses on the Win32 native port which you might also find
>>interesting. It might even get done before the cygwin stuff. Jeff Cohen
>>is working on that. Perhaps he can indicate the status of that effort.
>>

>I recall reading on the llvm archives somewhere that there are significant
>performance issues with the cygwin platform. True? If so, the Win32 native
>version would probably be preferable. Actually, if it packages and deploys
>better, (as in, no requirement to install anything cygwin,) which I
>suspect it will,
>that alone would be reason to prefer the native version.

It's true.  The native win32 version does not use cygwin in the
slightest.  It's built with Microsoft Visual Studio.  If you have that,
it's trivial to build (double click the solution then run "build
solution"), but it does require that you have bison, sed, and flex on
your machine.  Prebuilt binaries are available on illuvium.net.

It's usable so long as you are writing your own front end.  There are
serious technical issues standing in the way of getting llvm-gcc built
natively on Windows.  Also, only the JIT or interpreter is usable at
this time.  I haven't gotten around to getting assembler output yet that
can be built with NASMW.