[LLVMdev] Version Control Upgrade?

Tanya Lattner tonic at nondot.org
Mon Jan 10 10:24:10 PST 2005

>> Considering that everyone is managing just fine with cvs, anything
>> discussed about the differences between cvs and *X* is not a show stopper.
>
> I would have used the term "coping just fine" with cvs. Yeah, it works.
> But, is it productive? efficient? easy? fast? .. none of those. There
> are better alternatives and that's why we're discussing it. Don't forget
> that the experience with CVS in Russia and even Seattle is QUITE
> different than in the same building as the CVS server.

CVS is not so horrible slow that its not possible to get anything done.
And i think coping is a very harsh word.. most people are using it just
fine. And you really should not generalize and assume that I work in the
same building as the CVS server since you really don't know.

The main benefit to cvs is that everyone knows how to use it. Most people
even have it installed by default. If you go and change from cvs to some
other software, you are going to put up another barrier for people to
overcome before joining llvm. Learning llvm is a big enough task in
itself and contrary to what you may believe.. its not globally known yet.
Switching to something at this stage in the game is premature and an
uncesssary headache.

In my personal opinion, subversion is better with its features. But I'm
skeptical to its stability since its so young. Waiting awhile to switch
would give it a chance to mature and for the community to start switching
over.

-Tanya