[LLVMdev] Oversight group for LLVM

Vikram S. Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 7 14:34:37 PST 2005

Hello everyone,

The LLVM project has evolved significantly since our first public
release in Oct. 2003.  Most importantly, we've gained many new users
and several active contributors, and we want to encourage and support
them and attract more.   At the same time, the software itself has
undergone some significant changes and improvements, and been ported to
new platforms.  We expect that both the community and the software will
continue evolve significantly over time.

We feel that this would be a good time to establish a small oversight
group to manage the continued development, distribution, and
community-building process for LLVM.  Our broad aim is to foster the
wider adoption and growth of LLVM, and encourage participation and
contributions from both UIUC and non-UIUC users.  We do *not* want to
create a bureaucracy, and definitely don't want the oversight group to
get involved in approving each patch or even significant check-ins.
Instead, this group will focus on higher level issues like identifying
problems and opportunities that make users' lives easier, finding ways
to attract new users and new contributors, and evaluating major design
changes.

We have put up a Web page that describes the mission and some of the
specific goals of this group:
	http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/Oversight.html
Comments or suggestions are welcome; please send them to
oversight at llvm.cs.uiuc.edu.

--Vikram, Chris, Misha, and Reid