[LLVMdev] Re: Re: LLVM bytecode portability

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Fri Feb 25 20:54:09 PST 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Mike Hearn wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:02:27 -0600, Chris Lattner wrote:
>> Both and either.  If you include a standard system header, this will pull
>> in system specific #defines and inline functions.  These won't work if you
>> move to another system that doesn't match thos
>
> Hmm, do you know of any glibc headers that pull in CPU-arch specific
> code? My cunning plan of using LLVM to distribute Linux CPU-arch
> independent binaries may have a slight hole if so :)

Yes, I think that it will probably work, at least for a bunch of programs.
Another thing you could do is build a modified distribution of glibc
headers that had the problematic features pulled out of line.  LLVM
already disables inline assembly in the headers, so that's about 75% of
the battle...

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/