[LLVMdev] Uniform data dependence info?

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Feb 23 08:02:08 PST 2005

> Is there some uniform way to find data dependence between two (sets of)
> instructions?  There is use/def data, and there is AliasAnalysis
> information, but I am looking for something more high-level and uniform.
> I guess I am missing then was abandoned. Any ideas?

Nope, there currently isn't a uniform interface for doing so, at least not
at the LLVM level.  As you said, use/def information will tell you about
dependence between non-side-effecting instructions, and AliasAnalysis will
tell you what dependences exist between side-effecting ones.

What are you trying to do here?  It would be really easy to add a helper
method to the AliasAnalysis interface that took into consideration
dependencies between scalar instructions.  What specific information do
you need?

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/