[LLVMdev] Re: passmanagert and co improvement...

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Thu Dec 22 20:58:53 PST 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Saem Ghani wrote:
> Okay, I've been studying passmanagert and company for quite a while.
> Here are my conclusions.
> It's actually not nearly as bad as I thought.
> I'll outline the problem as I see it.

ok.

> We want to be able to manage the way passes traverse things, in
> particular a module's worth of functions.  As was in your example, we
> want inliner and mem2reg calls interleaved, as we traverse functions
> in callgraphscc order.  More generally, we want the ability to specify
> traversals.  And specify passes that should use these traversals.

Yes sort of.  I'm going to rearrange your email here a bit. :)

> As for clean ups in passmanagert, I think the first thing might be
> cutting down some of those insane multipage functions with private
> helper functions, since they're one offs, we can easily inline them,
> not to mention, they make things far more readable than large "code
> barf".  Maybe, it's just me, but I can't stand big methods/functions.
> Overall, it's not all that bad.

Yes.  To start with, I would suggest seriously refactoring PassManagerT.h
into something that is object oriented instead of template instantiated.
Right now, there is the PassManagerT template class and the various traits
classes it uses.  This is instantiated three times for module function and
basic blocks.

This design was due to the wrong-minded assumption that the performance of
the PassManager was critical.  As it turns out (and should have been
obvious back in early 2002 when I wrote it), passes have enough
granularity that a little bit of overhead in the PassManager (due to
virtual function calls) is just fine.

As such, the first step is to start refactoring the pass manager into a
common base class (PassManager) and three derived classes
(ModulePassManager, FunctionPassManager, BasicBlockPassManager) and move
the methods from the traits class to be pure virtual methods implemented
by the derived classes.

If you take up this project, please do things incrementally in small
chunks (e.g. a method at a time).  This will make reviewing your changes
much easier. :)

Once this is done, we can move on to making the pass manager better at
what it does!

> Currently, when you tell a function pass to go to work on a module, it
> iterates through the module, as it pleases.  Now, this behaviour is
> fine, but insufficient.

Sort of.  In reality, the FunctionPass's are all run by the FunctionPass
manager that iterates over the functions in a module in a fixed order and
calls the runOnFunction method of each at the right time.  There are many
future improvements (like extending this) that we want to do in the
future, but are limited by the complexity of the current design.

> What we want is the ability to say, function pass, "run on traversal".
> As in, we'll provide an iterator and you work on that instead, a
> pseudo module if you like.
>
> Now, for actually specifying the traversals, we want to tell the
> passmanager, A, B, and C are traversal strategies that we wish to use.
> This is a way of saying, not only run said passes, but use them for
> traversal -- this has implications on life times.  Now, when we add a
> plain old pass, we CAN say, add a pass with traversal strategy A or B
> or C, or it'll default to run on module/whatever.

To me, I'd rather this be a new passmanager derived class than a traversal
policy.

> Passmanager, would require a couple of extra methods to expose this
> new traversal management flexibility.

Yup.

> Now, unless I'm not seeing the difficulty in this, it shouldn't be TOO
> bad to implement the logic.  I could also be missing significant
> design issues.

There isn't anything necessarily super hard here, it's just that the code
is needlessly complex and *very* critical to LLVM.  As such, we should
make lots of small steps instead of a couple big ones.  It would be really
cool if you started on this project!

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/