[LLVMdev] Marking source locations without interfering with optimization?

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 17:32:14 PDT 2005

On 8/23/05, Chris Lattner <sabre at nondot.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Michael McCracken wrote:
> >> Okay...  this is tricky.  Anything that will bind to variables will
> >> prevent modification to the variable.
> >
> > I see - so if I wanted to use my earlier approach, I'd need to change every
> > optimization and analysis to treat the 'marker' instructions specially as
> > instructions that don't modify their argument, a big mess...
>
> exactly.
>
> > So it sounds like the only way to really not interfere with
> > optimizations is to avoid
> > binding to the variables, which means that if instructions are moved
> > or copied, the markers I add won't be moved or copied along with the
> > instruction. I was hoping to find a scheme that'd stay (mostly)
> > up-to-date through modifications with minimal extra changes.
>
> I don't really think there is a good way to do that.

That's pretty much what I was afraid of.
However, it seems like making the modifications to try to keep these
intrinsic calls near the values they refer to, and to duplicate them
intelligently when copying blocks or instructions, would be easier
than what's involved with a new instruction.

Any comments on using the annotation classes for this? It only seems
to be used by  codegen, but it might be appropriate for this kind of
'loose' source info.

I'll dig around some more in the code. Thanks for the help.

> >> I would suggest something like
> >> this (C syntax for the llvm code):
> >>
> >> int foo() {
> >>    %A = alloca int
> >>    llvm.myintrinsic("A", whatever data you want")
> >> }
> >
> > Just to clarify, you're suggesting that I use the LLVM value's name to
> > link up with the source info instead of actually binding to it - so in
> > a slightly more complicated example I might do this:
> >
> > C code:
> >
> > 1: a = foo();
> > 2: b = bar();
> > 3: a = a + b;
> >
> > llvm code:
> >
> > %a = call foo()
> > llvm.myintrinsic("%a", "a", 1)
> > %b = call bar()
> > llvm.myintrinsic("%b", "b", 2)
> > %tmp.1 = add %a, %b
> > llvm.myintrinsic("%tmp.1", "a", 3)
>
> Exactly.  The %'s are a figment of the asmprinter's imagination, so you
> wouldn't need to include them, but this is basically what I was getting
> at.

OK.