[LLVMdev] Optional Target Builds

Tanya Lattner tonic at nondot.org
Fri Apr 22 10:18:46 PDT 2005

> Okay, we need to get this resolved. So far we have two camps: (a) those
> that want the default to be "all" and (b) those that want the default to
> be "host-only". This is easy enough to change in the configure script;
> we just need to make a decision. So far we have:
>
> (a) - Reid, Chris, Andrew Lenharth

I vote for A because at this stage LLVM is primarily used by developers
and with all the changes made.. its good to have it set by default to
compile everything, and run tests for all targets. Not everyone really
checks the nightly-tester (ie. how many notice the sparc test failures or
even care?). Now if someone is working on a specific backend where changes
do not impact other targets, they can easily configure to only compile
that one target.

I think this subject should be revisited when llvm becomes more
mainstream.

-Tanya