[LLVMdev] Optional Target Builds

Al Stone ahs3 at fc.hp.com
Fri Apr 22 08:52:09 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 10:18 -0500, Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Al Stone wrote:
> >> Actually, the options have to be expressed as "enable-something" so
> >> I've opted for "--enable-target-this" to enable just the $host target.
> >> if you specify --disable-target-this (the default) then you get
> >> whatever platforms you specify with --enable-target-{targetname}
> >>
> >> Does that make sense or do you have a better idea?
> >
> > What I would prefer (for what that's worth) is that by default,
> > only the host target is enabled.  That will speed up my builds
> > a bit and keep sizes a bit smaller.  If I then had an option so
> > I could do something like '--enable-arch=ppc,x86_64,ia64', I
> > could build whatever cross-targets I wanted for a particular
> > package.
>
> Would passing one option, "--enable-arch=host", be ok?

If what you mean is that "--enable-arch=host" would build only the
host target, that could work.  "--enable-arch=host-only" or something
_might_ be clearer.  So let me see if I can paraphrase: the proposal
is to add a new configure option to the build, "--enable-arch" (or
"--enable-target" -- either works for me).  One can provide comma
separated parameters to "--enable-arch" as follows:

   -- "all": the default, which builds all targets, regardless of
      the host for the build
   -- "host" (or "host-only"): build only the code generators for
      the current build host
   -- "c", "x86", "ppc", ... : build only the code generators for the
      named targets (hmm, maybe '--enable-target' is better..).

If that's what you meant, it sounds good to me... but I reckon
Reid gets to have a say, too :).

--
Ciao,
al