[LLVMdev] Optional Target Builds

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Thu Apr 21 23:58:03 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 00:33 -0500, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Reid Spencer wrote:
> > With Misha's changes requiring a total rebuild, I've been reminded how
> > long the targets take to build. Now that there are more of them and in
> > most cases I really don't care about n-1 of them, I'm wondering if its
> > time to have configure allow optional compilation for them.
> >
> > I would like to suggest:
> >
> > 1. The default (build all targets) remains the same
> > 2. We add to configure --disable-target-x86 to disable building the x86
> > target. Similarly for all other targets
> > 3. We add to configure --disable-foreign-targets to disable all but the
> > current host's target type.
> >
> > This will require a little bit of configure magic and some changes to
> > the makefiles.
>
> Sounds great to me.  I would suggest --disable-cross-targets instead of
> --disable-foreign-targets though.

Actually, the options have to be expressed as "enable-something" so I've
opted for "--enable-target-this" to enable just the $host target. if you
specify --disable-target-this (the default) then you get whatever
platforms you specify with --enable-target-{targetname}

Does that make sense or do you have a better idea?

> -Chris

Reid Spencer
President & CTO
eXtensible Systems, Inc.