[LLVMdev] Gentoo ebuild of LLVM

Valery Khamenya khamenya at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 02:31:58 PDT 2005

Hi guys,

there are few issues concerning LLVM and Gento Linux below.

1. Gentoo encourages to think of smarter packaging.

Oversimplified, but...
there are at least three audiences using LLVM:

- application users
- developers *using* LLVM in their projects
- developers *changing* LLVM sources.

Application users are not interested in LLVM, they are rather
interested to have their favorite applications running OK.
The minimally needed stuff for them is libllvm*.so and probably
few of llvm-tools executables. (e.g. examples like Stacker or fibonacci
are not needed)

Developers who use LLVM are probably interested to have
gcc-front-end, *.h* interfaces, libllvm*.so and probably some executables.

Developers involved in LLVM sources internals potentially need ALL
and with full sources :)

2. here is my ebuild intended to build "tools-only" stuff from llvm-1.4:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=56657&action=view

This ebuild is rather intended to be used by "Application Users"
audience. Examples are excluded from this ebuild (also because
of dependancy on llvmgcc).

Eric van Riet Paap pointed me to Debian sibling
of the the gentoo ebuild. There was a potential conflict
reported (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=304035)
-- the binary "extract" created during compile&install
has potential conflicts because of its generic name.

Perhaps one could exclude "extract" tools and submit this ebuild to
Gentoo.

3. For those who didn't use Gentoo a lot before the instructions to
use this ebuild are here (thanks to Eric):

- edit /etc/make.conf to have PORTAGE_OVERLAY pointing to your own
local portage directory (usually you don't need this step, just use
/usr/local/portage )

- mkdir /usr/local/portage/sys-devel/llvm-base (use corresponding
local portage dir)

- put the ebuild in that directory

- ran: ebuild  llvm-base-1.4.ebuild digest

- now you could install this with:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge llvm-base

That's it.

Any cooments are very appreciated with Cc to me, thanks :)
--
Valery A.Khamenya