[LLVMdev] diffs for vc7.1

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Wed Sep 15 07:39:23 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 00:17, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2004, at 8:40 AM, Henrik Bach wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has some one committed these patches into CVS?
>
> Not yet... checked 10 minutes ago...

Hopefully Chris will get to it today (Wednesday).

> I'm attaching the cvs diff -u version of them (I've read Reid Spencer
> post about it)

Thanks!

> > Paolo, thanks for the patches. In the near future I'll try to compile
> > them.
> >
> > I've installed STLport 6.4.2 with vc6.
>
> May I suggest you to use a newer version of the compiler?  VC6 is not
> so compliant to the C++ standard as VC7 and above.
> You can also download for free a version of VC.NET 2005 beta, as I've
> noted that in LLVM code there's a reference to its runtime library,
> meaning that someone else has worked with it over LLVM...

Yes, in fact I'd be daring enough to suggest that it be the standard.
We'll have fewer compilation problems with VC++ 2005 because it is
(supposedly) more standards compliant than previous versions. Please use
this download:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/default.aspx

There is also an update, as of 9/10/2004:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=afd04ff1-9d16-439a-9a5e-e13eb0341923&DisplayLang=en

This is the compiler I will use for the Win32 port (when I get to it).

> <gossip> I've read that an MSIL front-end for LLVM is being
> developed... </gossip>

This was started by Chris while he was at MS but the work he did there
is proprietary to MS. So, you won't see that happen any time soon.
However, Chris was able to determine that doing an MSIL->LLVM translator
shouldn't be difficult.

Reid