[LLVMdev] Files to lib/System/Win32

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Mon Sep 13 21:24:47 PDT 2004

It isn't Win32 code at all.  It depends on Unix emulation.

Oh, all right.  I'll take a crack at it.  I'm an experienced Windows
programmer (but I was programming Unix before Windows even existed).  I
was tempted to volunteer but Henrik beat me to it and anyway I'm not
sure if I can afford to spend the time required to do this.

It's not just System/Win32.  To properly build on Windows it is bad form
to use anything other than Microsoft's Visual Studio.  Even using
makefiles is frowned upon (well, considering Microsoft's offering of
"nmake"...).  And "configure" is right out.

But there are some issues with System I'm going to have to take care of
besides using Win32.  There appears to be some Unix assumptions like the
presence of /etc or the HOME environment variable.  Neither have any
true equivalent in Windows.

And then there's the gcc front end...  gcc cannot be bootstrapped using
Microsoft's compiler or a non-Unix-like environment.  It may not be
possible at all to do a proper Windows port of the front end.  The
Windows ports of gcc generally pretend they're running on Unix.

Anyway, I'll start and take a closer look at System.

At least I'll be building LLVM on my fast computer :)