[LLVMdev] To APR Or Not To APR. That is the question.

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 12 16:28:36 PDT 2004

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 04:21:22PM -0700, Reid Spencer wrote:
> Downside:
>       * Makes LLVM dependent on a third party library
>       * Makes LLVM platform support dependent on
>       * Error handling in APR is somewhat strange and it could be quite
>         difficult for us to continue to meet the "throw std::string"
>         approach we have today.

I vote against making LLVM dependent on even MORE things that we do not
control.  At least with the current system, we get to define the
interfaces, while putting in yet another tool, we are dependent on how
it does things.

I think the complexity of being dependent on large external libraries
(APR, boost, et al) is enough of a downside to not incorporate them.

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net :: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu