[LLVMdev] Some Questions about LLVM

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Oct 27 09:19:07 PDT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, zhou feng wrote:

> Yes, I checked that envvar, and it is set.
> The error msg when compiling a .c file is:
> gccld: WARNING: Cannot find library -lc
> gccld: WARNING: Cannot find library -lcrtend
> Can LLVM be installed using a prefix?

Yes, LLVM can.  Those errors are being emitted because it can't find those
libraries, which are part of the C front-end.  This implies that either
the envvar is set wrong or that you got a C front-end without the runtime
libraries.  If the envvar is set correctly, you should be able to do:

ls $LLVM_LIB_SEARCH_PATH/libcrtend.a

and see a file.

-Chris

>  On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, zhou feng wrote:
>

>  I have some questions about LLVM
> 1. I recently compiled LLVM on my X86 machine correctly. But when I use
> the built LLVm compiling programs(in the getting started guide), I got
> an warning saying can not find library "lc" (something like that). Yet
> LLVM did yeild a execution native code and it runs correctly except with
> a waring saying something like "__main**"(I cann't remember very clearly).
> I followed all the install instructions except the installation dir for
> llvm is /home/my/llvm/llvm-bin/ and llvmgcc dir is
> /home/my/llvm/llvm/llvm-gcc and the configure option is
> --prefix=/home/my/llvm/llvm-bin/ --enable-jit
> --llvmgccdir=/home/my/llvm/llvm/llvm-gcc
>

>  Make sure you set your LLVM_LIB_SEARCH_PATH envvar, as specified in the
> getting started guide:
> http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/GettingStarted.html#environment
>

>  btw: there was an error when installing LLVM, the system complained "no
> pax command...". What pax is?
>

>  I have no idea.
>

>  2. I want to do some work on register allocation using LLVM, which parts
> of code should I read? ( The whole source is too big for me)
>

>  As Alkis mentioned, the code in lib/CodeGen/* is the most relevant.
>
> -Chris

-Chris

--
http://llvm.org/