[LLVMdev] Link error with TOOLLINKOPTS=-ldbghelp on MinGW

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 25 14:31:21 PDT 2004

Henrik Bach wrote:
>> From: John Criswell <criswell at cs.uiuc.edu>
>> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:38:52 -0500
>

>> When you run configure, you'd do something like this:
>>
>> configure --prefix=<...> LDFLAGS="-L<path where libdgbhelp is installed"
>>
>> If you modify Makefile.config directly, just add the necessary -L
>> option to TOOLLINKOPTS.  I believe that should fix it.
>

> But, how do I tell which library to link from the path? Because, the
> lib<library> is in the default library path of MinGW (like /usr/lib).

If libdgbhelp is in the default library path, a -L option should not be
necessary, and in that case, your linking should have worked.

If libdgbhelp is in some other directory that is not typically searched
for linking, it will need to be specified by a -L option, and that -L
option is passed to configure via the LDFLAGS variable (either on the
command line or set in your user environment).

As far as the configure script adding -ldgbhelp, you will need to add a
check for libdgbhelp to llvm/autoconf/configure.ac and re-generate the
configure script.  I believe the generated script will concatenate the
-L option and the -ldgbhelp option correctly and stick it into TOOLLINKOPTS.

Modifying the configure script will be necessary regardless of where
libdgbhelp is installed.

-- John T.

> Henrik

* John T. Criswell                         Email: criswell at uiuc.edu *
* Research Programmer                                               *
* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                        *
* "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.          *