[LLVMdev] Link error with TOOLLINKOPTS=-ldbghelp on MinGW

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 25 13:25:07 PDT 2004

Henrik Bach wrote:
>> From: John Criswell <criswell at cs.uiuc.edu>
>

>> Will this library be needed for tblgen or for all LLVM programs?  And
>> is it a library you wrote for LLVM, or is it a MingW library?
>

> It's is generally needed for all programs or at least programs using
> Signals.o (from platform/Signals.cpp) and it is platform/MinGW specific.

Okay.

>> TOOLLINKOPTS is used by configure to convey additional linker flags
>> needed to use system libraries.  These are typically system libraries
>> for which a -L option is not needed or has already been supplied to
>> the configure script.
>

> Ok.
>
>> For libraries internal to LLVM, we add the library to the USEDLIBS
>> variable in the program's Makefile.
>>
>> How we should handle the problem depends upon whether this will be
>> needed for all programs and whether libdbghelp  will be part of the
>> LLVM source tree.
>

> Ok. However, the libdgbhelp isn't provided (so far, though you have
> access to the system interface through header files) on MinGW. But, you
> have the option to make your own libraries from system dll's on MinGW.
> For LLVM, libdbghelp is an external system specific library, so I don't
> think it should be a part of the LLVM source tree.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, libdgbhelp is a library that
doesn't come with MinGW but can be installed on MinGW by the user if it
is needed.  Am I correct?

If that's the case, I would say that it's the user's reponsibility to
install the library into /usr/lib or provide the configure script with
the appropriate -L options to find it (via the LDFLAGS environment
variable).

-- John T.

> Henrik

* John T. Criswell                         Email: criswell at uiuc.edu *
* Research Programmer                                               *
* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                        *
* "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.          *