[LLVMdev] Link error with TOOLLINKOPTS=-ldbghelp on MinGW

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 25 13:03:45 PDT 2004

Henrik Bach wrote:
> Yes, that's my understanding, too. But I'm not controlling where my
> library -ldbghelp is put when g++ is called. I just put it in the
> TOOLLINKOPTS variable in Makefile.config.

Will this library be needed for tblgen or for all LLVM programs?  And is
it a library you wrote for LLVM, or is it a MingW library?

TOOLLINKOPTS is used by configure to convey additional linker flags
needed to use system libraries.  These are typically system libraries
for which a -L option is not needed or has already been supplied to the
configure script.

For libraries internal to LLVM, we add the library to the USEDLIBS
variable in the program's Makefile.

How we should handle the problem depends upon whether this will be
needed for all programs and whether libdbghelp  will be part of the LLVM
source tree.

-- John T.

> Henrik
>
>> From: Reid Spencer <reid at x10sys.com>
>>
>> John Criswell wrote:
>>

>>> It seems that the -L path options are specified before the LLVM
>>> libraries (libSystem and libsupport) are linked in.  I think g++ may
>>> only search linker paths that are specified before a library is
>>> specified.
>>>
>>> Perhaps you need to make sure that all library paths are specified
>>> before listing the libraries to link in.
>>>
>>> In other words,
>>>
>>> g++ -Lpath1 -Lpath2 -ldbghelp -lSystem
>>>
>>> ...instead of...
>>>
>>> g++ -ldbghelp -lSystem -Lpath1 -Lpath2
>>>
>>> Just a guess; can anyone verify this?
>>>

>> That's my understanding too.
>>
>> REid.

* John T. Criswell                         Email: criswell at uiuc.edu *
* Research Programmer                                               *
* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                        *
* "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.          *