[LLVMdev] Re: LLVM Compiler Infrastructure Tutorial

Vikram S. Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 21 07:32:44 PDT 2004

Yiping,

If you are doing architectural synthesis, I do agree that you likely
need to capture some operations in the instruction set, especially if
you want to perform analyses and optimizations on those operations.
Some specific comments:

On Oct 20, 2004, at 6:04 PM, Yiping Fan wrote:

> Vikram,
>     I also agree with you. I understand that target-independent
> representation is very valuable
>  and important for software compilation.

More importantly, changing the instruction set itself means that
existing passes may not work on the new instruction set.  We do use two
different representations, one mid-level (the LLVM IR), and one
low-level (the back-end IR), and of course the passes for the two IRs
are largely distinct.

>     However, when we are doing high-level synthesis (also called
> behavioral/architectural synthesis),
> the targeting architecture is also changing. That is, we need to do
> architecture exploration
>  and the IR transfromation simultaneously. For example, after a
> particular pass, we may need 4
>  ALUs to execute the program, under a certain latency constraint;
> then, after another optimization pass,
>  we may end up with only 3 ALUs. The instruction-to-ALU binding will
> be different after this pass.
>  The samething could happen for register allocation and binding, and
> other synthesis pass.
>      Also, there are lots of synthesis passes there, such as
> scheduling, functional unit binding,
>  register binding, (FU) port binding, re-scheduling and re-binding,
> interconnect reduction, DSP
>  specific optimization, ...
>    Therefore, we need some architectural information (both on-disk
> and in-memory) associated with
>  the instructions after every synthesis pass.

That makes sense.  It's not clear to me whether these tasks are best
done on a modified version of the LLVM IR or on a machine-level IR.  If
you want to apply analyses and transformations, the LLVM IR certainly
has many more of those available.

My suggestion: For those tasks where an infinite register set is
sufficient and where the LLVM opcodes (perhaps with some new ones)
correctly capture the important primitive operations in your family of
target architectures, using the LLVM IR would work and would allow you
to use existing passes (perhaps with some changes if you add new
opcodes).

Once you want to do register allocation or want to add many low-level
operations to the instruction set, then using the machine-level IR
would be better.

>    In addition, in hardware description, there are lots of bit-vector
> manipulations (e.g., bit extraction,
> concatenatoin ...), which are not represented  in LLVM. We are
> thinking about to add some intrinsic
>  functions to LLVM, so that the original instruction set can be
> untouched.

That makes sense if you don't want to apply standard LLVM passes (e.g.,
ADCE or LICM or PRE) to these operations.  If you do want to apply
these passes, they would need to be instructions, not intrinsics.

>    Currently we use a simple CDFG (CFG, whose every node is a DFG)
> representation to do our
>  synthesis. Of cource, it is not as powerful as LLVM, and we also want
> to use many of your
>  transformation/analysis passes. That is why we want to move our
> project on top of your IR.

Understood!

> Thanks,
>
> -Yiping