[LLVMdev] UPDATE: Automake Difficulties (Long)

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 20 10:29:38 PDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 01:01:33AM -0700, Reid Spencer wrote:
> Instead of spending a bunch more time on trying to get automake to work,
> I suggest we just fix the current makefile system to do what automake
> can do. Specifically we need to:
[snip]
> I am, of course, soliciting feedback on this whole idea.

I would agree that, given the differences, it is better to improve the
current system to do what automake can do than to switch to automake and
teach automake how to do things that our current build system already
does (which in some cases, as you mention, may not be reasonable).

I am not sufficiently familiar with dependency generation, et al, to
comment on it in detail, but I would *love* a "make check" facility with
results listed in plain-text files rather than a database that required
running qmtest, logging into it via a web browser, and updating the
binary DB that way.

And if there's a "make dist" and/or "make rpm" target(s), so much
the better.

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net :: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu