[LLVMdev] Linker problems with Visual Studio

Paolo Invernizzi arathorn at fastwebnet.it
Thu Oct 14 09:56:02 PDT 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 6:17 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

>> The other areas which have to be resolved is the struct/class debacle
>> and also the hash_map usage (I am using the Visual Studio STL library)
>> -- my fix for the hash_map thing is too ugly to go in, so I won't even
>> bother to submit a patch. Unfortunately I have to link LLVM with our
>> own
>> app which is using the MS STL, so resorting to using a STL library
>> more
>> similar to GCC is probably not an option.
>
> I'm not really sure what the right way to do this is, but if you can
> come
> up with a non-invasive patch (i.e., just to the Support/hash_*
> headers), I
> think that would be fine.  It would be very very nice to be able to use
> the standard VC STL.

It would be really great  indeed. I've had problems also with
hash_set...
But really we cannot pretend a lot, it's a natural consequence of using
stuff that is not in the standard...

> Cool.  I'm not sure what the right approach is for the build system,
> as we
> really don't want to maintain two completely separate build systems,
> one
> of which that we don't test.  Any ideas are welcome! :)

I think that providing hand-made VS files for releases it's the only
option if the developer wants to stick with a plain VS solution.
But I'm wondering how visual studio can handle the generation of .h
files from .h.in, so you have to provide them too I guess

Mine scons solution it's an hybrid, It has the full power of standard
*nix configure/make and can generate uptodate VS projects, but that
projects must be used along with scons. It drive the build process when
you press the build button.

Again I'm not pushing for a scons solution, I'm simply using it as It
keeps my build always uptodate without having to be paranoid in
checking the cvs co logs, and it's able to handle all the dependencies
correctly: td files, flex and bison, .in files and so on.

I've a flue and I'm writing with 39 degree fever,  so excuse me if I'm
particulary dumb ;-) I'll be out of the LLVM game for a couple of days
at least..