[LLVMdev] Re: [llvm-commits] CVS: */Makefile.am

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Tue Oct 12 10:01:01 PDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:08:56 -0700
Reid Spencer <reid at x10sys.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I agree that the current situation with llvm-gcc is not ideal, but
> most of us just build llvm-gcc once and forget about it. The real
> solution here is to endow LLVM with its own C/C++ compiler and bootstap,
> but that's a longer strategy.
>
> Reid.

While I agree this would be the best solution, realistically I'm not
sure it will ever happen.  Writing a fully ANSI compliant C/C++ FE might
well be harder than the rest of LLVM combined.  "Full compliance" is the
operative phrase.  Coming up with something that mostly complies is much
easier, but pointless.  Look at how many years it has taken the major
C++ compilers to be as compliant as they are, and they're still not
perfect (not even g++).