[LLVMdev] Re: Invocation of LLVM

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 4 10:03:59 PDT 2004

Hey, Alex!

Alex Vinokur wrote:
> I have downloaded cfrontend-1.3.i386-unknown-freebsd5.2.1.tar.gz from
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=119938&package_id=130753
>
> After gunzip and tar the cfrontend directory has been created.
>
> I would like to compile some C++ program.  What do I have to to?  I am
> working on Windows 2000.
>
> I tried to invoke files from cfrontend/x86/llvm-gcc/bin, for instance, gcc:
> $ ./gcc -v
> ./gcc: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

First off, you are using the wrong version of the C front-end: if you
are using Windows, you should not be using the FreeBSD C front-end.

On Windows, we highly recommend using Cygwin, as native Windows (without
Cygwin) support is in early stages.  So, you would need to install
Cygwin and then build your own version of the C front-end.  The
directions to build the C front-end are here:

  http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net :: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu