[LLVMdev] Running specific passes

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Mon Nov 29 05:47:53 PST 2004

On Friday 26 November 2004 19:56, Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > in the implementation of some analysis, I need to change the program and
> > then invoke Mem2Reg pass. That pass, in turn, requires other analysis, so
> > I must
>
> Usually you want to do this at a higher level, why not just use 'opt
> -yourpass -mem2reg'?

Because my pass must first modify the code, then run mem2reg pass and then do
some more work. There's absolutely no way it could work without mem2reg pass.
(That's the value analysis path I talked about earlier).

> Alternatively, if you don't want to do that, you can build mem2reg into
> your pass if it works better.  To do this, your pass needs to
> 'addRequired' DominatorTree and DominatorFrontier, then use the
> interfaces exposed through
> include/llvm/Transforms/Utils/PromoteMemToReg.h.

This still leaves the question of TargetData parameter -- which is not used by
the PromoteMemToReg function, AFAICT. Passing *(TargetData*)0 is dirty.

- Volodya