[LLVMdev] PowerPC JIT available for testing

Basile STARYNKEVITCH basile at starynkevitch.net
Sun Nov 28 22:19:22 PST 2004

Le Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 10:32:32AM -0800, Reid Spencer écrivait/wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 10:27, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> > Le Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 12:00:03PM -0600, Chris Lattner écrivait/wrote:
> > >

> > > This is just a note to mention that the PowerPC JIT is now operational and
> > > begging for testing in mainline CVS.  There is one known problem (below),
> > > but otherwise it works as well as the static PowerPC backend on the test
> > > suite. [....]
> >
> > I'll be delighted to test it, but so fare I was not able to compile
> > LLVM, even on x86 (without the llvmgcc which I don't use).
>
> You don't need llvmgcc to get the basic LLVM compiled. Just build with
> "make tools-only".

Ok. Then how do I install, and how do I run the JIT tests?

> > Are there precise build & use instructions for newbies wanting to test
> > LLVM *in JIT mode only* (I did not found any)?
>
> Not specifically for "JIT mode only" but you should review:
>
> http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/GettingStarted.html

I did read several times this page, and I find it very disappointing
for JIT users (like I want to be). More specifically, it says:

  4 Install the GCC front end:

     1. cd where-you-want-the-C-front-end-to-live
     2. gunzip --stdout cfrontend.platform.tar.gz | tar -xvf -

which is exactly the step I want to avoid.

Sorry for pointing it out, but I did found the GNU lightning
documentation, installation procedures, and use much much
easier. Nothing comparable yet in LLVM *for JIT use*

Regards.
email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net