[LLVMdev] Compression Stabilization

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Sat Nov 27 14:14:04 PST 2004

An omission in the original message ..

If this problem affects you, you need to rebuild ALL bytecode files that
you built that might have used zlib compression. This means, at the very
least, you also need to:

make -C runtime clean ; make -C runtime install
make -C examples clean ; make -C examples
make -C projects/sample clean ; make -C projects/sample
make -C projects/Stacker clean ; make -C projects/Stacker

If you have your own project that builds bytecode (Java, reopt come to
mind), you need to clean the bytecode files and rebuild them there as
well.

Reid.

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 11:47, Reid Spencer wrote:
> In preparation for Release 1.4, I've consolidated the bytecode
> compression to only use bzip2. zlib is not supported any more. We chose
> bzip2 because it offers about 10% better compression on bytecode files.
>
> Its unlikely, but this change *could* affect you if you ever built the
> CFE or your own LLVM project on a machine that had zlib but didn't have
> bzip2. If you have bzip2 on your machine, you'll be fine even with this
> change.  If you didn't have bzip2, the bytecode files you previously
> generated will be compressed with zlib but the current Compressor
> implementation now does not support zlib. So, if you're in this
> situation, and you update today, you need to completely rebuild your CFE
> runtime libraries (libgcc.a, libstdc++.a etc) and re-install them. You
> should do this after you've rebuilt LLVM.

You also need to