[LLVMdev] problems with gcc 3.2.2-5

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 23 14:02:59 PST 2004

Reid Spencer wrote:
> Steven,
>
> One other little detail John left out. LLVM is known *not* to work with
> GCC 3.2.2! No one has succeeded. That release of GCC is very buggy. You
> might want to move on to the 3.3 or 3.4 series. LLVM also compiles with
> the 3.1 and 3.0 versions.

According to our Getting Started Guide
(http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/GettingStarted.html#brokengcc), GCC 3.3.2
is also broken, so make sure you're not using that version either.

-- John T.

> Reid.
>
> On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 12:55, John Criswell wrote:
>
>>Steven M. Carr wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to install llvm with gcc 3.2.2-5 and I get a number of
>>>errors in stl include files. I have attached the mess of errors that I
>>>get. If you know of a stupid oversight that might cause this, let me know.
>>>
>>>Steve

>>Are you sure that you are linking to the correct C++ library on your
>>system?  These errors might be caused if the version of libstdc++.so
>>that matches your compiler isn't in /usr/lib (e.g. you installed GCC
>>3.2.2-5 in /usr/local).
>>
>>In that case, you will need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
>>variable to contain the directory containing libstdc++.so.  You may also
>>need to modify Makefile.config so that LDFLAGS contains a -L option with
>>the directory containing the correct version of libstdc++.so.
>>
>>That would be my first guess.
>>
>>BTW, are you using LLVM 1.3 or the latest version from our CVS repository?
>>
>>-- John T
>
> .

* John T. Criswell                         Email: criswell at uiuc.edu *
* Research Programmer                                               *
* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                        *
* "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.          *