[LLVMdev] Re: Notes on the release notes for the fifth public release of LLVM

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Nov 17 08:01:57 PST 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Jeff Cohen wrote:
> > Yuck... what about the C runtime?  I can compile a C/C++ program on Unix
> > and copy the bytecode file over to Windows and then (eventually)
> > generate assembler that NASM can turn into a binary.  But what to link
> > against?  Microsoft's C runtime library?  C++ runtime is even worse, as
> > name mangling is completely different.  Then there's __cdecl vs
> > __fastcall.  VC++ exception handling is implemented in an utterly
> > different fashion than g++ also.  Any words of assurance :)
>
> OK, I know better than to ask because I already know the answer:  the
> GNU frontends are going to generate code that expects to link with GNU
> libraries.  Other vendors' libraries need not apply.  Case closed.

Actually, GCC is designed to work with the vector's C runtime library.  We
do need support for fastcall and other calling convention stuff, but
that's in the pipeline anyway.  The bigger issue is probably getting GCC
to grok the windows header files.  I have no idea how well it does in that
department.

-Chris

--
http://llvm.org/