[LLVMdev] Dejagnu Support Added

Tanya Lattner tonic at nondot.org
Sun Nov 7 20:00:26 PST 2004

In an effort to simplify how tests are added to the LLVM testsuite, I've
added support for Dejagnu. This only applies to the Feature and Regression
tests. If this experiment goes well, we may switch from using QMTest to
Dejagnu.

I'm asking for people (especially those running nightly testers) to give
Dejagnu a try. You will need to install Dejagnu
(http://www.gnu.org/software/dejagnu/) which requires tcl
(http://tcl.sourceforge.net/) and expect (http://expect.nist.gov/) to be
installed. Python is also required due to one of the scripts used for
testing that is written in python. This requirement will disappear
eventually. If you are already using QMTest you should have python
installed already.

Please note, that QMTest currently leaves some .c files in
test/Regression/Bugpoint after it has run. Dejagnu will process those
files, but they will FAIL due to missing RUN lines. Ignore these failures.

Once you have Dejagnu installed, from the top level type "gmake
check-dejagnu" to run the Feature and Regression tests. You can expect the
results to be printed and put into a log file test/testrun.log. You can
specify a particular suite to run by using "gmake check-dejagnu
TESTSUITE=suite", where suite is Feature or Regression. You can not
currently select specific test directories in Regression to be run
(hopefully this will be added in time). Results for a specific testsuite
are put in test/Feature.log or test/Regression.log.

I've tested this with srcdir=objdir and srcdir!=objdir, and on both linux
and on sparc. I'd appreciate the help testing this on additional platforms
such as Darwin and FreeBSD. Please let me know if you have any problems or
questions.

I'll be making changes to the nightly tester if all goes well with my
changes for dejagnu. So please give this a try, and report any problems
you encounter.

Thanks,
Tanya