[LLVMdev] LLVM for JIT only use

Basile STARYNKEVITCH basile at starynkevitch.net
Sun Nov 7 14:04:58 PST 2004

Hello List,

(apparently this list is moderated)

Le/On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 03:45:41PM -0600, Misha Brukman
écrivait/wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 10:33:09PM +0100, Basile STARYNKEVITCH
> wrote:

Basile>> I want to try to use LLVM only for JIT only use (generating code in
Basile>> memory for x86 and, when available PowerPC [32bits])

If you want to know I am experimenting some JIT generation for a
experimental toy functional language [this is only a hobby] and I did
write the OcamlJIT (a JIT translator of Ocaml bytecode using GNU
lightning)

> Cool!  FYI, the PowerPC JIT needs work to make it operational, but the
> x86 JIT is good to go.

> Don't worry about the configure errors at the end, and just run
> "make tools-only".  That will build all the libraries and LLVM tools,
> but not build the runtime libraries (which require llvm-gcc).

First, I am extremely confused by the terminology. IMHO, the runtime
libraries would include (from my JIT only perspective)

1. all the LLVM libraries required to JIT-generate machine code, and
to build a representation of the LLVM instruction sequence or tree.

Z. the garbage collection I'm coding for my toy language.

So I really can't figure why is the LVM-GCC parser needed here!

For me the runtime stuff of LLVM is the stuff I need to JIT (without C
parsing) - but I am wrong! what exactluy is the "runtime" and why does
it require llvm-gcc (I thought that LLVM is not a bootstrapped
language: the compiler is not written in LLVM...)

Second trivial question: only I "make tools-only" how can I install
the stuff (in the standard /usr/local/ prefix)? Does "sudo make
install" is enough?

Regards.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net