[LLVMdev] Re: Can't Figure Out My Error :(

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Sun Mar 28 19:03:55 PST 2004

I just found "entry". Its the name I gave a basic block at the start of
the function (name was hard coded in the compiler, not the source).  The
issue here is probably that the block doesn't have a terminating
instruction.  However, that fact used to be caught well by the
validator. Furthermore, the output from the byte code reader is a little
confusing given the source of the problem.

Has something broken recently?  This has been happening with the 1.2
release. I cvs updated today and rebuild LLVM but it still happens.

Reid.

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 16:23, Reid Spencer wrote:

> The XPL compiler produced the attached OneOfEach.bc file without error
> or warning from either LLVM or XPLC. However when I llvm-dis the file,
> I get:
>
> llvm-dis: Failed value look-up for name 'entry'
>
> The Bytecode Reader prints this out when it can't find the associated
> value for the name.  Obviously I botched something in the XPL compiler
> but I would have thought the verified would catch my mistake before
> writing the byte code.
>
> The patch to the Reader.cpp file that I sent you earlier added the
> "for name 'entry'" part to the output. Unfortunately, this doesn't
> help because my source input doesn't have a symbol named "entry".
>
> Any hints?
>
> On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 15:58, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Reid Spencer wrote:
> >
> > > Would you like me to send the patches to sabre at nondot.org or have you
> > > seen them already?
> >
> > I haven't seen them.  Feel free to send them my way :)
> >
> > -Chris

> Reid Spencer
>
> President & CTO
>
> eXtensible Systems, Inc.