[LLVMdev] Debian packaging?

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Mar 8 11:49:02 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Al Stone wrote:

> Okey dokey.  I'll start setting things up.

Sounds great!  :)

> I think what I'll do is start with 1.1 (or the infamous and
> soon-to-be-released 1.2 :).

It's already infamous? :-( Our tentative plan is to get it out in time for
the CGO conference which is Mar 20.  We'll be presenting an LLVM paper,
which will hopefully stir up some more interest/awareness in the compiler
community for it.  Frankly we could release CVS today and it would make a
great 1.2 release, we just want to squeeze in more cool stuff. :)

> Once that works, I'll probably put together a CVS snapshot version.

I would recommend starting with "1.2" (aka CVS) if possible.  There have
been some improvements to the build system and install targets that might
make things easier (as well as the rpm support).  That said, starting with
1.1 and forward porting it to CVS might not be bad either.  :)  If you get
it working in time for the 1.2 release, we would obviously be able to
include it with the release...

> I know LLVM currently supports ia32 and SPARC; is anyone looking at any
> other architectures?

PPC support has a good chance of materializing in time, but there is
nothing concrete at the moment.  We have medium term plans to do some ARM
work as well, but that is still a way off.

-Chris

> On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 17:30, Chris Lattner wrote:
> > On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Al Stone wrote:
> >
> > > Would anyone mind terribly if I tried to get LLVM packaged and added to
> > > the Debian distribution?
> >
> > Definitely not!  Please do.  :)  Note that we have experimental support
> > for RPM generation in CVS currently, which might give you a starting point
> > to look at.
> >
> > If you have any questions or run into any problems, please just let us
> > know!  What version would you be interested in working with?  1.1 or CVS?
> >
> > -Chris

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/