[LLVMdev] Qestion about running LLVM

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Tue Jun 22 14:41:02 PDT 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Hsien-Chieh Cheng wrote:

> Hi, Chris,

Note, i'm responding to the list in case others are wondering this.

> I noticed that LLVM has only frontends to compile C/C++ source programs
> to LLVM intermediate representation (IR). Is there any frontend tool that
> can translate binary files (ex. x86 executibles) to LLVM IR? Or is it
> unlikely from engineering sense 'cause LLVM IR is richer than machine
> code?

There was a group that was working on an Alpha -> LLVM translator, but I
don't know what the status of it is.  In theory, it should be possible to
translate machine code to LLVM, but it's a large engineering effort
(particularly for an architecture like X86 with a big ISA).

Given a machine code to LLVM translator, it should be possible to do
binary translation stuff directly with LLVM.

-Chris

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Hsien-Chieh Cheng wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm a newbie and just installed LLVM on a Linux box. I followe
> > > "The LLVM Getting Started Guide" on the web and have some trouble
> > > on the section "An Example Using the LLVM Tool Chain". When I compile
> > > the simple hello.c program with "llvmgcc hello.c -o hello", the system
> > > complains -- gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `gccas': Permission
> > > denied.  Does anybody know what's going on?
> >
> > Make sure that the LLVM tools are in your path.  If you built a debug tree
> > in the source directory, that would be llvm/tools/Debug
> >
> > -Chris

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/