[LLVMdev] benchmarking LLVM

"?=Valery A.Khamenya=?koi8-r?Q?" khamenya at mail.ru
Sat Jun 19 08:27:01 PDT 2004

Hi all

  i took a look into LLVM benchmarks from nightly tester and
  ran Shootout tests on my own. Below go just few outlines.

1. results on my AMD AthlonXP and Xeon used by LLVM
team are different sometime. In particular, both Shootout
and Shootout-C++ show great speed up with LLVM (in
comparison to GCC) on ackerman test on my AthlonXP.
But here:
  http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/testresults/X86/
GCC is reported to be quicker on
Benchmarks/Shootout-C++/ackermann test.

2. the tests based (e.g. ackerman,fibonacci) on function
calls are tend to be quicker with LLVM then with GCC
:)

3. some generic tests (like nested loops) are slower with LLVM
then GCC. Could anyone check why
Benchmarks/Shootout*/nestedloop is so slow with LLVM?
Nested loops is a quite generic construction, so if this
test will be boosted then it might influence very much
other test too.

---
Valery A.Khamenya