[LLVMdev] bytecode documentation?

John T. Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 8 15:14:01 PST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Grant Gould wrote:

Dear Mr. Gould,

> Is there any documentation of the llvm bytecode format?  I looked
> around the website but didn't see any; did I miss some obvious
> document?

At this time, we do not have any documentation on the bytcode format.  I
believe one LLVM user was working on such a document at one time, but if so,
it is not complete.

One option (although not ideal) is to examine the source code.  I believe
llvm/lib/Bytecode/Reader is where you would want to start.

If all you need to do is read LLVM bytecode, the bcreader library (in
llvm/lib/Bytecode/Reader) should suffice.  If you want to extend the format,
then more serious source code reading will be required.

Sorry we don't have anything better right now.

> Thanks a bunch.
>  --Grant

Regards,

John T. Criswell

* John T. Criswell                         Email: criswell at uiuc.edu *
* Research Programmer                                               *
* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                        *
* "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.          *