[LLVMdev] ObjectFiles.html

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Fri Feb 27 00:30:45 PST 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Reid Spencer wrote:

> One of the things that I don't understand well about LLVM is what code
> is in what object files or library archives. It would be very useful if
> there was a map of the dependencies between the files (e.g. if you link
> X.o you need Y.a and Z.o).  Trying to figure out the link lines by trial
> and error is a bit frustrating.

No kidding.  We were just talking about how it would be nice to have some
sort of automatic library dependency manager (perhaps hacked together with
nm), but came to the conclusion that it would be more trouble than it's
worth.

> To assist myself with understanding this, I've started to write a
> document (ObjectFiles.html, attached) that will (eventually) explain all
> this. Right now its pretty much just a list of the various files
> produced by building LLVM and a cursory statement of what the file
> contains.  The most significant need in the document is for a  section
> on the dependencies between the various files.  Some more "rules of
> thumb" about how to link against LLVM would be good too.

Sounds good.

> Could someone please add this file to the LLVM docs directory so I can
> submit patches against it?

Done.

> I'll continue to work on this as my understanding improves. HOWEVER,
> feel free to embellish. This isn't a document I need to _write_, its a
> document I need to _read_!

Sounds good.  I'm concerned that this document might be hard to keep
up-to-date, but it's clearly something that is needed.  :)

Thanks!

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/