[LLVMdev] LLVM

Vikram S. Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 24 06:14:02 PST 2004

Jingling,

I faced the same issue in using LLVM for an introductory compiler course
this semester.  The way I am (optimistically) addressing it is that I have
given the students a tarball of LLVM containing most of LLVM but very few
optimizations.  In particular, we've only given them a few essential
transformations that the front-end or lli need, and any transformations used
by those transformations.  Key project ideas like LICM, GCSE, ADCE, etc. are
left out.  I've also told them *not* to download LLVM from the web site or
CVS, and there I have to trust them not to do it.

We can give you the same tarball if you're interested.

My long-term goal is to make such an LLVM version available together with a
few predefined course projects, including front-end and back-end projects.
That will take time, though.

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve