[LLVMdev] Re: Starting with LLVM-GCC on Cygwin

John T. Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 28 07:41:52 PST 2004

Alex Vinokur wrote:

>Henrik Bach wrote:
>

>>You should download and install in the first shot:
>>
>>  a.. LLVM source code (3.5M)
>>  f.. GCC Front End Source Code (30.0M)
>>
>>Then follow the items listed in
>>http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html for Cygwin.
>>

>[snip]
>
><QUOTE from http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html#cygwin>
>It has been found that the GCC 3.3.3 compiler provided with recent
>Cygwin versions is incapable of compiling the LLVM CFE correctly. If
>your Cygwin installation includes GCC 3.3.3 we strongly recommend that
>you download GCC 3.4.3, build it separately, and use it for compiling
>LLVM CFE. This has been shown to work correctly.
></QUOTE>
>
>However currently latest gcc version in Cygwin is 3.3.3.
>
>So, it seems that currently it is impossible to build LLVM and the GCC
>front-end under Cygwin (?).

According to what you've quoted above, you *can* build LLVM and the LLVM
GCC frontend under Cygwin.  The only difficulty is that you will have to
build GCC 3.4.3 on Cygwin first.

So, what you'll do is download the source code for GCC 3.4.3 from the
GCC website (http://gcc.gnu.org), compile it with GCC 3.3.3 that came
with Cygwin, and then use your newly built GCC 3.4.3 compiler to build
LLVM and the LLVM GCC frontend.

-- John T.