[LLVMdev] Re: Starting with LLVM-GCC on Cygwin

Alex Vinokur alexvn at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 28 00:40:54 PST 2004

"John Criswell" <criswell at cs.uiuc.edu> wrote in message news:4162A940.8090307 at cs.uiuc.edu...
> Alex Vinokur wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to use LLVM-GCC to compare its performance with other compilers.
> > Something like testsuite "Computing very large Fibonacci numbers" at
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.c%2B%2B.perfometer/37.
> >

> > My environment:
> > -----------------
> > Windows 2000
> > Cygwin
> > $ uname -srom
> > CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.5.11(0.116/4/2) i686 Cygwin
> > -----------------
> >
> > What do I have to download from
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=119938&package_id=130753&release_id=270245:
> > * executables(?) cfrontend-1.3.i386-unknown-freebsd5.2.1.tar.gz ?
> > * sources cfrontend-1.3.source.tar.gz ?
>
> You will need to download both the LLVM sources (llvm-1.3.tar.gz) and
> the LLVM-GCC sources (cfrontend-1.3.source.tar.gz).
>
> The LLVM sources always have to be built (we don't distribute binary
> verisons of these).  You will have to build the LLVM GCC frontend on
> Cygwin since we don't have binaries for these (unless Cygwin supports
> FreeBSD emulation, the FreeBSD binaries won't work).
>
> I don't know if LLVM 1.3 will work on Cygwin.  If not, you can get the
> latest llvm-gcc and llvm sources from our CVS repository; I know there
> is at least partial support for Cygwin in the latest sources.  Please
> see http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/GettingStarted.html#checkout for more
> information.
>

> > 1. Question about executables.
> > -------------------------------
> > After gunzip
> > * cfrontend-1.3.i386-unknown-freebsd5.2.1.tar.gz
> >   and
> > * tar -xf cfrontend-1.3.i386-unknown-freebsd5.2.1.tar
> > I see that cfrontend/x86/llvm-gcc/bin contains the following files:
> >
> > c++
> > cpp
> > g++
> > gcc
> > gccbug
> > gcov
> > i386-unknown-freebsd5.2.1-c++
> > i386-unknown-freebsd5.2.1-g++
> > i386-unknown-freebsd5.2.1-gcc
> > i386-unknown-freebsd5.2.1-gcc-3.4-llvm
> >
> > Are they executables?
> >
> > Which of them should I use on Cygwin?
>
> Well, you shouldn't use any of these, as the FreeBSD binaries probably
> won't work on Cygwin.
>
> But, once you build the llvm-gcc frontend, you'll get a very similar
> directory tree.  To compile programs, you'll use the c++, g++, and gcc
> binaries listed above. I believe the programs with the
> "i386-unknown-freebsd..." prefix are just there in case you've got a
> cross compiling environment.
>

> > 2. Question about sources.
> > --------------------------
> > http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html#cygwin contains the following instruction:
> > Configure and build the LLVM libraries and tools using:
> >  % cd llvm
> [...]

I would like to download LLVM 1.4 for Cygwin on Windows 2000.

Here are a fragment from http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/releases/register.cgi
  a.. LLVM source code (3.5M)
  b.. LLVM Test Suite (8.0M)
  c.. GCC Front End Binaries for Linux/x86 (6.2M)
  d.. GCC Front End Binaries for Solaris/Sparc (6.6M)
  e.. GCC Front End Binaries for MacOS X/PowerPC (7.0M)
  f.. GCC Front End Source Code (30.0M)
What do I have to dowonload for for Cygwin?

--
 Alex Vinokur
     http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn