[LLVMdev] VC++: Cannot open include file:'windows.h':No suchfileor directory

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Sun Dec 26 21:57:59 PST 2004

Henrik Bach wrote:

> I agree completely with you, Jeff.
>
> However, I think it somehow would be nice, if you guys could tell
> comming users that the win32 solution is geared toward VC++ 7.1 (and
> hence use of other tools are at their own risk).

I've been thinking of writing a "getting started" page for win32.

> And, I think it also would be really cool, if you guys come up with a
> solution how to handle multiple VC++ x solutions/projects from the
> same source, possibly ranging from VC 6.0 to future releases.

Like I said, multiple "win32" trees would do it, but again what's the
rush?  There is exactly one version of VC++ that can build LLVM:  7.1.
The earlier versions can't compile it at all, and the next version is
buggy and unreleased and will remain so for some time.

> Another future solution could be that the VC++ x tools get incorparted
> into the makefile structure, as previously discussed. It appeared to
> me that the mingw or gunwin32 environment mixed with the VC++ x tools
> could be a solution.

What problem does this solution solve?  If you have the Microsoft
toolset, there's no reason to use other toolsets except for specialized
stuff like parser generators for which Microsoft does not have a tool.
Furthermore, one set of makefiles is simply not going to handle both GNU
and Microsoft toolsets.  Creating makefiles just for Windows doesn't
make much sense as they would only be duplicates of the project files,
but minus the powerful features of the VS IDE.  I just don't see the
benefit.