[LLVMdev] Stack branching for non-preemptive threading

Brandyn Webb brandyn at sifter.org
Tue Aug 24 22:12:40 PDT 2004

	Hi,

	Is there any way to support either stack branching or heap-allocated
stack frames in llvm?

	What I am after is non-preemptive threading support (as in Modsim,
but I have also written a small library in asm to allow this in C),
where a function can "suspend" itself and resume execution later.

	I was excited to find llvm as I thought it would be an excellent
back end for a language I am developing (I had once thought I could use
JVM similarly but found it much too high level and java-specific), but
due to the automatic stack frame management, I find I still cannot do
what I am after.

	Perhaps a backup approach would be:  Can I create a pointer to a
label, and then branch to that later?  If so, perhaps I could bypass
llvm's intrinsic call/ret altogether and just implement my own calling
convention?

	-Brandyn

p.s., please cc me directly in any replies as I am only polling the
list on the web site for the moment until I decide to jump in
headlong.

--
---------- brandyn at sifter.org ------- http://www.sifter.org/~brandyn ----------

  	  A word saved by one clever writer is a word saved a million readers.