[LLVMdev] To a.out or not to a.out

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Fri Aug 20 11:02:49 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 10:53, Brian R. Gaeke wrote:

> I don't see anything wrong with having the default for the "-o" option
> be "a.out"... If it were up to me, I would keep it.

Well, the issue for me is that "a.out" in LLVM land can be a shell
script and even if its a native executable, it probably isn't in the
ancient a.out format.

perhaps we need "some" default, but not "a.out"?

or, are you saying this default is so ingrained into developer's minds
that it just needs to be supported regardless of the fact that it no
longer makes sense?