[LLVMdev] PowerPC Back End announcement

Nate Begeman natebegeman at mac.com
Thu Aug 5 11:11:40 PDT 2004

Hi Everyone!

We are pleased to announce the impending checkin to CVS of the PowerPC
/ MachO backend for LLVM.  Many thanks go out to all the LLVM
developers for their help in making this happen.  Misha Brukman and
Chris Lattner will be handling the CVS integration in the near future.

The PowerPC BE current compiles most of the testsuite correctly.  There
are known issues in C++, variable sized alloca, and unsigned 64 bit to
floating point conversion.  Almost all other code will compile
correctly, and will run with decent performance.  The current range for
most integer programs is 0.7 to 1.5 times the performance of native
GCC.  A Readme file containing the current to-do list will be checked
in along with the source.  All you need to run the output of the back
end is a PowerPC machine running either Mac OS X 10.3, or Darwin 7.x.
Compatibility with Mac OS X 10.2 has not been tested.

Over the coming months, Misha, Louis and I hope to fix all remaining
code correctness issues, and implement improvements such as target
scheduling.  Once again, thanks to all the LLVM folks for answering
questions and lending a hand along the way, and we look forward to your
feedback and contributions!

Sincerely,
The PPC Backend Team
Nate Begeman