[LLVMdev] Compiler Driver Decisions

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 4 12:53:42 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 02:50:33PM -0500, John Criswell wrote:
> >Unfortunately, the #!... convention is not supported on all operating
> >systems although it is very common on UNIX. I think we're going to end
> >up with a mixture of things:
>
> Yes, I know.  I figured other OS's have some other sort of mechanism to
> do the same thing.

They do *something*, the point is adding cruft into the bytecode format
will never handle *all* cases, we'll still have platform-specific
additional hacks.  So it's not worth polluting the bytecode with these
hacks.

> >1. The llee (llvm-run) approach needs to be maintained for those systems
> >    where all you can do is run a program (think OS/390, Windows, etc.)
>
> Doesn't Windows have some method of associating extensions to executable
> programs?

Certainly, and you can do that TODAY, without modifying the bytecode at
all to include #! lines: just associate .bc with lli and you're done.

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net :: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu