[LLVMdev] Compiler Driver Decisions

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Wed Aug 4 09:07:40 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 08:51, Misha Brukman wrote:

> llvm-build or llvm-driver are both kinda long but at least they make
> sense...

Yeah, that's my sense too.

> As an aside, llava and llama are both taken, llvmize? llvminator?
> llvm-emerge a la gentoo?

Uh. No?

> > llvm-run    - runs programs built by llvm-build
>
> Wait, is llvm-run the same as lli?
> Or is it "compile to native, link, run native version"?
> Or does it not matter?

I've been intending llvm-run (or possibly just llvm) to be the llvmee
that Vikram spoke about. In my mind its kinda like "java" in the Java
world. It executes bytecode in a variety of ways (interpreted, JIT, or
statically compiled) and includes the life-long optimization support
coming with the reoptimizer/profiler.

> > I'm not thrilled with llvm-build because its dull but from the
> > dictionary there is also:
> >
> > llvm-construct (too long?)
> > llvm-make        (obvious confusion)
> > llvm-forge       (obscure)
> > llvm-erect       (double entendre)
>
> yeah, these aren't the most clear, easy-to-type-and-understand names. :)

Yeah.