[LLVMdev] Compiler Driver Decisions

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 2 17:17:53 PDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 07:23:06PM -0500, Chris Lattner wrote:

> > > Why not 'llvmc' "llvm compiler"?  What does the extra C mean?
> >
> > I dunno. Perhaps cause Misha liked it. But, you do have a point there.

LLVMCC = LLVM Compiler Collection, a la GCC
After all, it's going to be the "driver", like GCC, and unify
front-ends, so I should be able to do:

% llvmcc a.java -o a.o
% llvmcc b.cpp -o b.o

Right?

> > For that matter, why llvmc? Its more than a compiler. It also (and
> > mainly) links and optimizes. So, why not just "llvm" ?

LOC : LLVM Optimizing Compiler. :)
In case LOC doesn't have enough meanings already...

> Hrm, I don't think we want to overload "llvm" to mean
> yet-another-concept.

I agree, but everyone at some point starts thinking of 'LLVM' as *the*
compiler, so perhaps people ALREADY have that viewpoint.

> It's already the name of the project and the IR... this causes enough
> confusion as it is.  What trouble could one extra little 'c' cause? :)

I think some terminology clarification would be in order... :)

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net :: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu