[LLVMdev] LLVM benchmarks against GCC

"?=Valery A.Khamenya=?koi8-r?Q?" khamenya at mail.ru
Fri Apr 30 01:59:01 PDT 2004

> The nightly tester is used for two purposes: making sure that nothing
> breaks (the unit tests) and keeping tabs on how well performance is doing
> (the spec and most multisource tests).  It's not a reliable way to do
> serious benchmarking, but can give good insights into where things can be
> improved.

hm, one day, the great benchmarking will be a reason to use LLVM,
so, i think a bit more benchmarking info could be fruitful.
If test might be enveloped in a loop to get run about few
seconds then it makes hardly nightly testings much slower,
but will bring a lot of interesting info.

> What is wrong with SuSE 9?  Is it the wierd GCC ICE bug?  If so, I believe
> that it only effects one .cpp file in the LLVM sources and can probably be
> worked around.  I don't have a copy of the buggy compiler handy, but if
> you were to look into it it would probably be a pretty easy problem to
> solve.

yesterday I got new SuSE 9.1 DVD, so i am going to enter this
river again. Perhaps, this time all will be fine.

> It would certainly be possible, but the point of the demo page is to show
> how the C front-end and optimizer transform programs to LLVM code.  I
> might be able to con Brian or Misha into adding support for native code
> generation, but we'll have to see (they're all really busy with
> end-of-semester stuff).

Such an add-on would be really nice.
BTW, my good wishes to them concerning end-of-semester.

--
Valery