[LLVMdev] Testing LLVM on OS X

Patrick Flanagan valtrain at mac.com
Fri Apr 23 19:12:01 PDT 2004

I'm interested in getting LLVM running on OS X so I can play around
with it and check it out. I downloaded the LLVM 1.2 package and
compiled and installed with no errors (used config options
--with-llvmgccidr and --enable-spec2000 pointing to the relevant
directories). I want to look at performance of SPEC CPU2000 with LLVM
vs gcc.

I was able to successfully compile and run the hello world program
using LLVM. I then made a simple spec config file to try to compile
spec with LLVM:

ext=ppc32_llvm
teeout=yes
teerunout=yes;
default=default=default=default:
#
CC=/Users/patrick/Desktop/LLVM/cfrontend/ppc/llvm-gcc/bin/gcc
CXX=/Users/patrick/Desktop/LLVM/cfrontend/ppc/llvm-gcc/bin/llvmg++
FC=g77
OPTIMIZE   = -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer

To test that everything was setup correctly, I tried doing just the
164.gzip test first. It seemed to build the gzip test without errors,
but when it tried to run it, it said that it couldn't find the bytecode
file for that program. I looked at the files generated from the build,
and there's a script that calls lli and passes it a bc file, but sure
enough the .bc file is not there. I realize this is sort of a spec
question rather than a LLVM question, but where would it put that .bc
file and where do I need to copy that file to in order for it to work?

Second, according to the documentation, the OS X version of LLVM
doesn't generate native code and is run through the interpreter. I
assume this would make it a lot slower than if it did generate native
code. Is anyone currently working on making it generate native ppc code
for OS X? If not, what would be involved in doing so? I'm new to LLVM,
I'd appreciate some pointers to some info that might shed some light on
that.

Looks like a really interesting project! Thanks in advance!

Patrick