[LLVMdev] Re: [Opencxx-users] LLVM and OpenC++

"?=Valery A.Khamenya=?koi8-r?Q?" khamenya at mail.ru
Mon Apr 12 16:16:01 PDT 2004

Hi all,

> Hm, maybe you did not notice, Grzegorz is currently the main developer of
> OpenC++ :)

oops, sorry, I thought OpenC++ originates from Japan team, but name
Grzegorz sounds like Polish for me :)

> If you don't give more details about what you're thinking about, as
> Grzegorz has asked already, you're unlinkely to get any feedback, as you're
> probably still the only one knowing the details...

Do you mean that we should not discuss why JITing is
important for Computational Reflection and OpenC++ in
particular? It would be quite logical first to get sure
that OpenC++ team is motivated to reach this goal
and only then discuss how to do it. I expected to have
this discussion in openc++ maillist.

Anyway, there are two general ways how to do it.

1. via C++:

   the OpenC++ sources are translated into C++
   (in run-time too) and then the C++ front-end
   compiler from LLVM team is involved to
   compile C++ code into LLVM assembler or a byte code.

2. via LLVM assembler or byte-code:

   the OpenC++ sources are translated into LLVM
   assembler. This work is expected to be quite
   similar to the job done by Chris team over gcc.

maybe there are other smart ways how to connect
Environment, Ptree and other OpenC++ entities to
LLVM, but at least two ways above seem to be
technically feasible.

any comments?

P.S. sorry if you receive draft of this mail as well.
     It was much more in details though :)

--
Valery